Episode #3 How to Engage Students Listening & Responding
This is, the Teaching Bites Podcast. The Unprofessional Development We Need.
- Intro Question OR What’s this EP is About OR The Problem
- Do you ever have a hard time trying to get your S to listen & respond?
- Listening Ways
- Ask 3, Then Ask Me
- Think, Pair, Share directions/instructions
- have partner share out what other said
- reference vid in show notes of teacher rdg text/S TPS
- Ask S to explain concept to whole class/group; TRIBES
- Talking piece
- Clamshell for devices (iPads, laptops)
- Fun Fact Headphones (1910 by Nathaniel Baldwin, who made them by hand in his kitchen and sold them to the United States Navy.
- John C. Koss, jazz musician from Milwaukee produced first stereo headphones
- Signal word to start (“GO!”)
- Responding Ways
- Think, Pair, Share- thumbs up, then share
- TP Group Share
- POW Share (partner of week, use milling to music [Spotify, iTunes, radio, etc.- all resources], why I use it- get to know partner, so S get up, use for select activities, NOT all!)
- equity sticks- each S’s name on a popsicle stick, helps me call on ALL students
- Move around class to answer questions using cardinal directions (ex- North=yes, South= no, etc.)
- Check for understanding
- exit ticket; standing and answering questions
- how do you feel about this strategy? thumbs up, side, down; stand up to show how many questions they got wrong on an assignment
- Do you need other awesome ways to keep your class running smoothly all year long? Check out this FREE download- Ways to Have a Stress Free Classroom! Some examples- establishing strong parent relationships, field trips, substitute plans, how to create effective groups, device management, etc!
“Presenterator” Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0